Thursday 19 April 2007

Training at the old dojo.


“We are made out of oppositions; we live between two poles you don’t reconcile the poles, you just recognize them.”
- Orson Welles




Today after a week and a bit laid low with a cold I trained with the sensei and one other at the old dojo in Myoujo. It has been a while since I have been able to train on Friday mornings at the old dojo. I enjoy training there, the tatami is hard, and the sun beats down through the southern windows. It is easy to work up a sweat, and I think I enjoy training during in the morning, when my body is fresh.



Today we concentrated on katate dori, a defense against a one handed wrist grab, finishing off with sumiotoshi, or “corner drop” throw. Receiving the your partners energy in this move and protecting yourself as you pivot, their arm becomes a rod with which you drop them.



I really enjoyed the opportunity to focus on just this one technique all morning. I think I am coming to a better understanding of it each time we practice like this.



See more progress on: get my black belt in aikido




No comments: