Saturday 28 April 2007

Dealing with randomness.

“none but ourselves can free our minds”
- Robert Nesta Marley



Yesterday morning at the old dojo I had the priviledge of training with a group of Aikidoka, some new to Aikido and some old friends. Each of us brings something different in spirit to the dojo, our strengths and weaknesses are brought into sharp relief. I notice this most when practicing the same techniques with a variety of partners, some are heavy and resist your movement, others are light and offer little resistance, almost flying away with the slightest touch. Through all of this I am learning to keep my centre, relax completely, drop my weight and extend ki.


Life throws at us challenges of all shapes and sizes, there is no one ideal way to approach every situation. Hopefully through focusing only on my technique, and responding and adapting to these challenges without getting locked up in thought, I can move through life a little more smoothly. There are millions of private thoughts, secrets, negative, positive or otherwise, locked up in our minds, yet we are all born equal in love and life.


Around this time each year I get injured, I wonder if this has something to do with the mental resistance I have against moving forward. Breaking this resistance is a goal larger than any one thing I have to deal with.



1 comment:

tradersteve said...

"mental resistance"-good point. Whenever I accopmlish something that I previously feared, I feel both silly and emboldened.
If we track our own progress in all our endeavors, we can use this to push ourselves to greater heights.