Saturday 21 April 2007

Preparing for the Aikido conference.

Last night we began the process of preparing for our demonstration at the all Japan Aikido conference at the end of May. Ideally this is when I would like to be in black, although I now realise that having unrealistic expectations may dampen my enthusiasm once the conference is over. I am attempting to detach myself emotionally from the outcome and concentrate on my performance on the mat.
As has become customary over the last couple of weeks, we began with 十本 (juppon – ten throws per opponent), with only four in attendance the rotations came pretty fast. The sensei limited us to the use of one waza, 呼吸投げ (kokyuunage – breath throw) which can be quite devastating if done with the right timing.
As stragglers filtered into the dojo, they too joined the fun. After about an hour of this we paired up for partnered practice for the demonstration. My partners were Ishitani sensei, and Sugi san, we practiced a variety of responses to 片手取 (katatedori – one hand holding one hand).
After practice Ishitani sensei, commented that my stamina was much better than last year, must be all the walking I am doing!

No comments: