Saturday 12 May 2007

Friday morning sessions.





It was good to see everyone having fun on Friday morning, I usually find these sessions a bit more relaxed than Saturday or Sunday nights or even Wednesday nights for that matter. I'm not sure how long the dojo has been open on a Friday morning but for a long time Steve and I were the only two students there with Ishitani sensei (centre).


Steve is the big guy on the right, we used to live together before I got married and we would catch the train in from our apartment closer to the centre of town. Steve recently was graded for his black belt and pretty much lives for Aikido, we became friends when we were both searching for a martial art nearly four years ago.


We haven't seen Amber, on Steves right, at the dojo for a while, so it was good to see her putting everything into the session. Amber and I work together, I'd like to think we have a pretty good relationship inside and outside work. It certainly makes you more comfortable with people when they bend your arm at unatural angles behind your back as they are pressing you into the floor.


Sugi san (behind Ishitani sensei) is another regular, and probably is in the dojo 4 times a week. She is a little fragile and injury prone like me, but she throws everything into her training. She also speaks great English, I think the only time I hear her speak Japanese is when she swears, which is not very often.


Matt, on the left of the picture has been doing Aikido for about a year now, and is really doing well. He has a natural athleticism which makes it easy for him to incorporate new techniques. There is often so much to remember about each technique, which can be a bit overwhelming at first, but he has the right spirit and enthusiasm to do well.


So these are the guys I train with, we are an odd bunch, all different shapes and sizes, but we have a lot of fun together. See you all again next Friday, right?



Posted by Picasa

No comments: